Pacific Crest Trail Fundraiser Hike
In 2016, 200 crowdfunding campaign supporters helped me make my dream of experiencing a solo pilgrimage of the Appalachian Trail a reality. Now, I want to thank the community for such an incredible opportunity by giving back.
That’s why, from March through October, I am hiking the Pacific Crest Trail to support three nonprofits that are empowering young women in the outdoors:
100% of what we raise over the course of my hike will be split evenly between these organizations. Join me to make a difference in many girls’ lives!
Appalachian Trail Thru-Hike
During my solo “flip-flop” thru-hike of the Appalachian Trail (stretching 2,200 miles from Georgia to Maine), which took from May until October of 2016, I experienced excruciating foot pain, mind-blowing sunsets, freezing hail that pelted my skin until it was raw, and powerful conversations with fellow hikers who also felt that they didn’t quite fit into mainstream society.
Here is what I learned on my AT thru-hike:
- Not to compare myself to others who were hiking faster or slower than me, and to be gentle but steady in my self-discipline.
- How to reason with fear in a way that those of us who are born female aren’t typically invited or socialized to.
- To sleep alone in the middle of the forest without getting scared and how to keep my cool during wild animal encounters.
- To trust and listen to my instincts in a way that I didn’t know was possible.
- To let go when things didn’t go my way and to accept whatever the trail had in store for me.
- To accept what my body looks like and to understand that how my body feels is what really matters.
Because of this transformative experience, I am now passionate about inspiring and empowering more young women to embark on their own personal transformation journeys in nature.